Welcome to the 2017 Little League season! As you may know, Saratoga Little League is an entirely volunteer-run operation and a team effort on the part of players and families alike. As such, each family is expected to put in 15 hours of volunteer time during the season
For Saratoga Little League, there are many types of volunteer positions:
- Manager / Coach Position / Team Coordinator
- Event Volunteer
- League Committees
- Team Volunteer (Majors-Farm)
- Team Volunteer (T & Mini-ball)
Manager / Coach Positions
- Team Manager
Managers must attend mandatory coaching and first aid clinic(s) regardless of years of experience. The Team Manager is responsible for running the team including practices and games, must learn division playing rules, instruct players in proper baseball skills and involve parents with the team and league activities.
- Team Coach
Reports to Team Manager. All coaches must attend mandatory coaching and first aid clinic(s) regardless of years of experience.
- Team Coordinator (Majors, AAA, AA and Farm only)
Reports to Team Manager. Responsible for parent communication and organizing day game volunteers. For each game, team coordinator will schedule a Game Monitor, Scorekeeper, Scoreboard operator and Field Prep & Clean-up volunteer. The Team Coordinator will also use a service like VolunteerSpot to track volunteer hours to ensure all parents are fulfilling their 15 hours of volunteer time.
- Opening Day Coordinator (2 positions)
Organize and plan the festivities for opening day. Opening day is typically the first weekend in March so this coordinator role has the majority of activity in February.
- Snack Shack Coordinator (1 position)
Organize the Snack Shack volunteers to ensure we have volunteers for weekday and weekend games. The Snack Shack Coordinator will also use a service like VolunteerSpot to track volunteer hours to ensure all parents are fulfilling their 15 hours of volunteer time.
- Event Volunteers (14 Positions)
This year Saratoga Little League will host a number of events including tryouts, a golf fundraising event, and opening day. Event volunteers will volunteer at multiple events to complete their 15 hours of volunteer time.
- Tryouts January 23rd (4 hours of credit)
Help with tryouts by organizing kids, hitting grounds balls and general help.
- Golf Tournament Monday, Date TBD (8 hours of credit)
Saratoga Little League will host a fundraising golf tournament on Monday, March 9th. Help with event organization and on-site logistics.
- Opening Day March 4 (4-6 hours of credit)
Help with the festivities of opening day.
- Fundraising Assistants/Banner Assistant (6 positions)
Saratoga Little League is an all volunteer organization and fundraising from local sponsors and business is a critical part of the leagues financial health. This committee with work on key fundraising programs like banner sales and the golf tournament.
- In addition to fundraising, the committee is also responsible for hanging all banners prior to opening day (approximately the last weekend in February and/or first weekend in March).
- Need to proactively check banners during the season and re-hang, clean and/or fix as necessary. The banners need to be moved to the Majors and AAA field areas for All-Star season (end of June).
- Banners need to be removed, cleaned and properly stored at the end of the season after the last tournament game and before the fences come down (end July or beginning of August)
- Merchandising Assistants (6 positions)
Merchandise sales are another key fundraising activity. Merchandising assistants will participate in merchandise sales at weekend games hosted at Saratoga Little League fields. This includes Opening Day, regular season as well tournament games.
Team Volunteer - T & Mini-ball
- Snack Shack
Help take orders, serve food and other duties for the snack shack. Volunteer opportunities during weekday and weekend games.
Team Volunteer - Majors, AAA, AA, Farm
Parents of players in Majors, AAA, AA and Farm will need to complete 15 hours of volunteer time throughout the season. The Team Coordinator for each team will organize and schedule parents for each game. Team volunteers will fulfill volunteer hours by participation in the following volunteer roles:
- Field Prep & Clean-up
Before and after each game, the prep the field by doing the following:
- Prep: dragging and watering down the infield and lining field foul lines, batter's box and catcher's box
- Post-game: if you are the last game of the day, dragging and watering down the infield
- Game Monitor
Responsible for attending 6-8 games. You are then required to watch the entire game and file a report within 24 hours via the Saratoga Little League Web Site (Game Monitor Report). This report will include field and dugout safety, an overview of managers, coaches, umpires and players and their conduct as outlined in the Code of Conduct Policy
- Scorekeeper (AA, AAA & Majors only)
Use Game Changer to track the score of the game. Score keepers must arrive at least half-hour (1/2) before the start of the game and attend a mandatory score keeping training session. Scorekeeping with count as 2 hours towards your volunteer.
- Scoreboard Operator (Majors and AAA only)
Run the scoreboard during games. Must commit to attending scoreboard training.