Farm is a developmental Division and is composed of children ages 7 - 9 years old. All players are evaluated prior to team formation in the areas of hitting, catching, throwing, and base running. Each player is assigned an individual and overall rating. Once the assessment is completed, balanced teams are formed based on player assessment ratings and then assigned to a Manager and Coach.
Farm is a semi competitive Division, however, coaching emphasis is upon player instruction and development. Children hit from a pitching machine to provide the greatest consistency possible. Each child must play a minimum of three innings in a six-inning game. Division rules are in-place to encourage player rotation in a variety of positions.
Ten players are assigned to field positions each inning, and all roster players bat whether assigned to a field position or not. Game scores and standings are recorded. While the top teams in both the regular and post-season play receive awards, all Farm participants receive a year-end participation trophy.
- Learn the fundamentals of batting with emphasis on proper stance, grip and swing.
- Learn the fundamentals of how to hold, aim and throw a ball.
- Learn the fundamentals of fielding ground balls with emphasis on proper stance, glove and hand position.
- Learn the fundamentals of catching fly balls with emphasis on moving to the ball location and proper glove and hand position.
- Learn the fundamentals of base running.
- Learn basic baseball rules and strategy and how to apply these in offensive and defensive situations.
- Learn the importance of respecting the Umpires (as representatives of the rules, order and fair play necessary for fun and sportsmanship).
- Learn to love the game of baseball and come back next year!
Farm play is governed by the rules established by Little League Baseball as well as the Local Saratoga Little League Rules.